Thursday, September 23, 2010

Judy Bess - "After the Rain" - Las Cruces, NM


Why do I paint? I want the paint tubes in my artist box to spill out on the canvas and let the viewer see and feel my joy in attempting to capture the stunning beauty of the Southwest! I love to work with acrylics because the colors are so rich, and their quick-drying capability lets me work spontaneously -- whether it is to show a dramatic cloud pattern, a glorious mountain sunset, or the swirling skirts of a folklorico dancer. I have been told I am a "colorist" and I believe that is true. This region of the country has such bold colors - why not boldly celebrate them?!
After retiring from a 34-year career spent in the education and corporate worlds, and moving to New Mexico, I returned to my first love: painting. I could hardly wait to get started. But I wanted to prepare myself, because over the years spent in business, I had done only a few artistic activities, which include illustrating a child's book and doing program covers for civic organizations. I took seminars from two prominent local artists, learning new brushwork techniques and how to handle the acrylic medium. When I see the beauty of the mountains, experience the desert wildflowers after a rain, or enjoy a fiesta, I am reminded that everywhere one looks in the borderland, there is a painting ready to create. What a bounty for artists!
I am delighted to have been juried into two galleries, and am thrilled to know that my work is in numerous private collection in the US and Europe. I paint for my own enjoyment and satisfaction, but there is nothing like knowing that others like my work well enough to bring it into their homes and their lives. This is the true gift an artist receives from their clients!
--Judy Bess

No comments:

Post a Comment