Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Steve Salazar - "Come Together, Join the Party" - El Paso, TX

Born in the late 60s, and raised in the 70s, how can one not be influenced by the colorful Pop Culture of this era. Steve Salazar, a UTEP graduate, is an accomplished artist, muralist, and art educator at Bowie High School.

As a Chicano artist, Salazar describes his art style as "Chicano-Sur-Pop-Adelic," a marriage of major art movements that have influenced his work.

"Chicano Art game me the themes for my pieces, which range from social, political, to religion. Surrealism gave me the drive to put familiar images of subconscious down on canvas and interpret the meanings for me. Pop Art gave me the characters by using Mexican - American - Chicano icons to be my voice, and Psychedelic Art gave me the palette of bright colors which have been embedded in my mind since an early age." - Steve Salazar

No comments:

Post a Comment